Equilibrium Radio

Equilibrium Radio
(L-R) Ms. Nee Nee, Kwame Vear, Crys Breezy, DMC & Priest Forever

Wednesday, September 15, 2010

LOVE MAKIN' HIP HOP


I feel so bad for those who don't hear what I hear nor feel what I feel when I hear certain Hip Hop songs. You know, that kind of Marvin Gaye- "Turn Off The Lights" kind of vibe. How did you feel when you 1st heard A Tribe Called Quest- Bonita Applebum? I was wishing I was swaying right along with them in the video. Ok yeah, I was imagining kissing...NO, sucking face with Q Tip too (I had a flash back when I saw him at Rock The Bells) and I even learned a proper term, "prophylactics". I understand the politics of radio and record labels which, makes me love (free) Satellite Radio stations, but what's coming out of the air waves is sickening, literally. I won't even go into seeing children imitate the music videos.


I feel disappointed when my DJ friends play other tracks from the album of main stream artists that never make the play list of mainstream radio. I'm always thinking it's something new. "Lollipop" turned me off of Little Wayne but I had a change of heart when I heard "Dr. Carter". I don't go clubbing like I used to but I would definitely dance my a** off if the DJ played "Party Tonight" by Black Sheep.


Let's just say I made a mini-movie/music video to show you my idea of the perfect date, try to imagine this: A really handsome (educated Dean of a college or pediatrician who looks like "The Rock") rolls up in front of my house in a black truck playing Foreign Exchange- "Something to Behold". You can't hear us speak, just the music so all you see is us vibing to the music. We ride down the West Side Hwy to "Take Off The Blues". The truck even rolls over the bumps to the beat of the music. We end up at a spot where we dance to "Truely Unique", because he knows I like to dance for real. Fast fwd to the end of the night (after he took me to a SEA, my favorite restaurant in NYC). We drive to someplace romantic to "Shceming" then "Say Wassup". The lyrics are very suggestive and straight forward and I'm getting what He's suggesting and it's my movie so he doesn't have to actually say it. We stop at a spot near some water and get out the truck and open all the doors and turn the music up really loud. He guides me by the hand to the front of the truck in the midst of the head lights (the look on my face says "This fool better not push me in the water!) and we dance to "Down South Girl", "Cloud 9", and "Hennessy (part 2)". The scene fades with us in a deep embrace and we watch the sun come up to "Talk To You Little Darlin' ". After that, I need to go make a new playlist on my ipod. I LOVE HIP HOP.

No comments: